Here are some helpful guides to keep your Canyon in top shape! Just pick the relevant category to find the solution to your issue.
Adjust play in hub bearings
A minimum amount of play on the bearings is permissible. If, however, there is too much play then the bearings will need to be adjusted, otherwise they may suffer damage. In addition, the rim can then start catching on the brake blocks when the rider gets out of the saddle. If the bearings cannot turn freely, then the wheel cannot run freely. Therefore it is absolutely crucial that the level of bearing play is exactly right.
Checking bearing play
Hold on to the frame or place your Canyon in a work stand. Then wiggle strongly on both wheels. . Picture 1 If you feel a clear judder, the bearing play is too great.
If the wheel doesn’t judder, lift the bike and turn both wheels. If it is difficult to turn the wheels, the bearings are adjusted too tight.
Tip for Mavic wheels:
The play on the hub is adjusted by the manufacturer in such a way that it is optimum when the wheel is fitted to the frame. If a Mavic hub has too much play, then tighten the quick release a little more. If the wheel is difficult to turn, then slacken the quick release lever somewhat.
Warning: When adjusting quick releases, it is very important to observe the instructions of the relevant manufacturer. Both wheels must be correctly fitted and secured in the frame at all times. Here in the Technical Support Center you will also find all the information you need on how to correctly operate quick release systems.
If that doesn’t help, you can do the following:
Mavic wheels without QRM+ Technology (Cosmic Elite, Aksium)
1. Remove the wheel and quick release.
2. Place a flat cone spanner onto the inner cone. Then place a second spanner on the outer lock nut.
3. Now turn both spanners simultaneously clockwise around 5cm in order to reduce bearing play. If you wish to increase bearing pay, you turn the spanners anti-clockwise as shown in the picture. Picture 2
4. Re-fit the wheel to the frame and tighten the quick release. Do a short test-ride and then check the bearing play again.
5. If the bearing play is not satisfactory, repeat steps 1 to 3.
You cannot repeat steps 1 to 3 more than twice. If the bearing play still isn’t as required, the bearings and cones must be replaced.
Mavic wheels with QRM+ Technology (Ksyrium, Cosmic Carbone, R-Sys)
The adjustment of bearing play on wheels with QRM+ Technology is very convenient and easy. The adjustment is made when the wheels are fitted in the frame:
1. Position the Mavic bearing adjustment tool with all the pegs in the holes of the bearing case. Now turn the tool clockwise to reduce bearing play. Turn the tool anti-clockwise in order to increase the bearing play. You should take great care when doing this work as the bearings are quite fragile. Picture 3
2. Do a short test ride and check the bearing play again. Correct play again if necessary.