The Science of Speed
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut, Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 R9250, 12-speed8,549 US$
- Color: Alpecin-Deceuninck Replica
- Color: CFR Stealth
CANYON CFR Track Disc Front18,549 US$
- Color: CFR Signature
Shimano Ultegra R8000 SS, DT Swiss ARC 16003,749 US$
- Color: Morello Red
DT Swiss ARC 1100 Dicut, Shimano Dura-Ace R9200, 12-speed11,149 US$
- Color: Pro Black
Shimano 105 R7000 SS, DT Swiss P 1800 Spline db2,799 US$
- Color: Flash Yellow
- Color: CFR Stealth
Aero Road Bike: Your Bike for New Personal Best times
With an aero racing bike, you'll be heading for the finish line as fast as an arrow. From the handlebars to the frame to the wheels, the bike is completely aerodynamic. Thanks to the balanced geometry on Canyon aero bikes; top speed and comfort go hand in hand. The pros know this too: world-class cyclists like Mathieu van der Poel rely on our flagship Aeroad CFR.
What is an aero road bike?
The aero bike is a special type of road bike. The aerodynamic design of the frame and bike components makes for extremely low drag on these models. A lightweight aero racing bike can be the key to a place on the winner's podium for professional cyclists. At speeds of 9 mph and above, air is the dominant drag force. Above 30 mph, you have to put almost all your energy into overcoming air resistance. That was the reason for the invention of aero bikes: when progress through weight saving was exhausted, optimised aerodynamics could raise performance to a new level.
What makes an aero bike stand out?
When the conditions are right, you have the makings of a breakaway on an aero bike. That's why aero road bikes are popular triathlon bikes. They help road cyclists gain those crucial seconds ahead. But: Canyon's triathlon bikes aren't for everyday use – our Speedmax gets you to the podium. Its components are optimised for triathlon.
Your new best times are made possible by the following features of the aero bikes:
- Carbon fibre frames with extremely high levels of stiffness.
- Tube profiles have more surface area due to the angular shape.
- Sort head tube and a stack-to-reach ratio of 1.45 maximum.
- Top tube with the same length as the seat tube or slightly longer.
- Riding position far above the bottom bracket for optimum power transmission.
- High-profile wheels with special aero rims.
- Brake and shift cables integrated into the frame.
What are the advantages of an aero road bike?
The most important advantage of aero road bikes: The cyclist has to exert less effort to achieve the same performance, with less drag. New personal best times are achievable with the same amount of effort. This makes aero bikes attractive to competitive athletes and amateurs alike.
Aero road bike or race bike – what's the difference?
“Why should I buy an aero road bike – am I not better off with a race bike?” If you're asking yourself this question, consider this: race bikes are reliable all-rounders for a wide variety of bike races, whether it's a stage race in the mountains or a sprint on the road. The aero road bike is suitable for climbing but provides the biggest advantage on flat roads.
Aero road bikes from Canyon
The Aeroad stands for pure speed and delivers outstanding performance.
- Aeroad CF SL: optimised aerodynamics and high comfort at a reasonable entry price
- Aeroad CF SLX: even lighter, more comfortable, and more aerodynamic – optimised through tests in the wind tunnel
- Aeroad CFR: the lightest and fastest Aeroad – a highly customisable high-end solution trusted by world-class athletes
The Speedmax series of aero road bikes is especially suited for triathletes.
Buy your Canyon Aero Road Bike online
At Canyon, you buy your aero road bike online directly from the manufacturer. Our flexible payment options allow you to pay off your bike in instalments over several months.